Alan Matheson is a much-admired jazz composer, trumpeter, pianist, and educator. He is an expert in jazz history, and leads his own big band, nonet, septet and trio. Alan has performed with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, Louis Bellson, and Phil Woods, and has taught at several music programs in the Vancouver area, including Vancouver Community College, and UBC.
In this episode, Alan talks about studying with the world-renowned trumpeter and educator Vincent Chicowicz (Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Northwestern University), how a solo by Bix Beiderbecke made him love jazz, and how Tchaikovsky's music sparked his desire to compose. He also recalls his friendship with the great trumpeter Clark Terry (Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Oscar Peterson), and explains how a visit to Helsinki created a long-standing musical partnership with the Finnish bassist, Wade Mikkola.
Throughout the episode you'll witness Alan's deep understanding of the language of improvised music, and be treated to his encyclopaedic knowledge of jazz from the last century and onward.
Find out more about Alan at alanmatheson.com
Music samples in this episode:
- “Open Letter to Mingus” - Written by Alan Matheson, performed by the Alan Matheson Nonet
- “Ballad of the Fallen” - El Salvadorean folk song, performed by Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra
- “On the Sunny Side of the Street” - Written by Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields, performed by Diana Krall
- “Vernal Suite” - Written by Christin Jensen, performed by The Christine Jensen Jazz Orchestra
- “Concerto for 2 Trumpets in C Major” - Written by Antonio Vivaldi, performed by Vincent Cichowicz and Fred Herseth
- “Jackson Square” - Written by Alan Matheson, performed by the Alan Matheson Nonet
- “Love Nest” - Written by Otto Harbach and Louis Hirsch, performed by Bix Beiderbecke with Paul Whiteman
- “In A Mist” - Written and performed by Bix Beiderbecke
- “The Mooche” - Written by Duke Ellington and Irving Mills, performed by the Duke Ellington Orchestra (feat. Cootie Williams)
- “The Single Petal of a Rose” - Written by Duke Ellington, performed by The Duke Ellington Orchestra
- “April in Paris” - Written by Vernon Duke & Yip Harburg, performed by the Joe Williams Band (feat. Clark Terry)
- “Sheba” - Written by Clark Terry, performed by Clark Terry and his band
- “Riina’s Ring” - Written by Alan Matheson, performed by Alan Matheson and Wade Mikkola
- “Sisu” - Written by Alan Matheson, performed by the Alan Matheson Nonet
- “Metsä” - Written by Alan Matheson / Riina Tamm, performed by the Vancouver Cantata Singers
- “Big Top” - Written by Renee Rosnes, performed by Artemis
- "Before" (feat. Elena Pinderhughes) - Written and performed by Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah
- "Rainy Night in Helsinki" - Written by Alan Matheson, performed by Alan Matheson and Wade Mikkola
The show's theme song, "Human Stuff," is written by Jane Gowan and Tim Vesely, and performed by Jane and Tim, with additional vocalSupport the show
The show's theme song, "Human Stuff," is written by Jane Gowan and Tim Vesely, and performed by Jane and Tim, with additional vocals by Steve Wright and Connie Kostiuk.
Contact the show: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on instagram: @musicbuddypodcast
Follow on facebook: @musicbuddypodcast
Jane's indie pop band: therealshade.com